Monday, March 23, 2015

The Videos



Making videos has been a completely new thing for me to learn. It has been both frustrating and fun. Since the painting in the video takes long hours I am by myself and do not have anyone in the room with me. I talk to you even though you are not there with me which is a little weird and takes some getting used to. I have to remember to be thoughtful in choosing my words so that I am understood.

The first video I made was the “Drawing Flowers Realistically” video because we must start with good drawing skills before we can paint. If you are a good draftsman you have a terrific advantage with your botanical painting. If your drawing skills are not strong you will struggle. 

The second video was the “Peony Bud” video because I know what everyone really wants to see is a colorful flower! 

For beginners who want to learn how to draw from life using precise measuring I did the “Just Measuring” video which starts with a simple box and gets progressively more complicated ending with a flower. The drawings are finished in an outline form, there is no shading shown(shading is done in the “Drawing Flowers Realistically” video). 

The “Dry Brush” video shows how you can smooth an uneven wash. Every artist has different ways of doing this. There certainly is no one correct way to do this. The end result is what matters and what ever works for you is just fine! 

My technical skills at filming and editing are slowly improving. The first videos were filmed with a different camera than the last videos and I’ve been learning more about lighting and sound. If you have seen both the “Peony” video and the “Dry Brush” video this is probably evident. One large portion of filming the middle of the peony painting was out of focus and had to be cut out. That was a bad day and I thought about scrapping the whole video!

The series of videos should be approached in a particular order though you can jump in where ever you think you need help. Some things are covered repetitively, for example I dry brush in both the “Peony Bud” and “Hydrangea” videos but the entire video is dedicated to the technique in the “Dry Brush/Layering” video and explained extensively.

Here is the order the videos should be approached if you are a beginner:
Just Measuring
Drawing Flowers Realistically
Dry Brush/Layering
Watercolor Peony Bud
Watercolor Hydrangea Leaf 

Once the video is complete and edited I can’t bear to look at it again. As my daughter said when I started this, “You are really stepping out of your comfort zone!” and that is true. I guess that’s another reason I am the only one in the room while filming!

I’ve been thinking about the next video which will probably be another watercolor flower but I have ideas for some other specific subjects so stay tuned. Any suggestions?

Happy painting and Happy Spring!

2 comments:

  1. White flowers, as in working with very pale colours. Probably difficult to record, though... The other one is working with glazes, layering colours in stead of mixing them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathe,
    Yes, white flowers are something I want to do. I often layer colors adjusting as I go....something I should show more clearly. Thank you for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete