Saturday, February 15, 2014


        Okay, so it seems that I should be writing a blog. I keep hearing that all these social media things tie together. I have been resisting since it is one more thing to do, one more obligation to keep up with…Linkedin, Fackbook, YouTube, website, Twitter, too much! That and I am not much of a talker, but here goes, my first blog!
       Lately I have not been sure where to turn. Just finished 2 DVD's but want to wait a bit before filming another. I want to think about the subject and get feedback from those who have seen the first 2. And make sure I am formatting it correctly to perhaps put somewhere else like Skillshare.  I've considered some ideas: fixing mistakes, choosing colors, or another follow along lesson, or maybe painting white flowers. Not quite sure yet. So instead I paint...
        This week I began some sketches of grapes for Caspari. Three bunches; one green, one red, one purple. It took me two days to get completed sketches because they fit together like puzzle pieces. The three bunches had to work together as one design as well as separately.  I think this could be for wine products. I also have decided to do them almost  life-size so that the finished painting could be used in an exhibit or offered for sale. So each has to be beautiful on its own. Unfortunately they will take a long time to paint. Financially really kind of crazy to be doing. Maybe after painting one I will decide to paint the next two smaller. I also picked up a painting of an apple that was started in a class at the New York Horticultural Society a while back. It won't take too much longer to finish and I decided I like the way the leaves are looking. Caspari is working on the Fall line so apples could be fitting.
         I almost had an illustration job this week for packaging of a vitamin line out of Canada to be sold at Walmart and Wholefoods. Too bad, they went with someone less realistic in style. Easy come, easy go. But it is nice to know that someone is interested in work done by hand rather than computer. I was also contacted by an expert pumpkin carver(who wrote a book on pumpkins), about doing a class together next Fall, as well as someone near Charleston planning next seasons workshops. Seems early to be thinking so far ahead especially when we are in the thick of winter. It has been so crazy with snow on top of snow on top of snow and more expected tonight. You kind of feel trapped in the house and just want to be lying on a beach somewhere with the sun on your face. Have not even gotten to the studio much to paint lately but instead brought my paints and paper home and have been working at the kitchen table like the old days. Our long sloping driveway is packed down snow with sleet and rain on top so we have our own version of the Olympic luge. It's treacherous. At least the days are starting to get a bit longer so Spring can't be too far off!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen
    Great to see you blogging - I am from Western Australia, plenty of sunshine here as we are mid summer.
    Sounds like you are very busy with different projects and ideas and I wish you well - also wish you were closer so I could come to a class or two.
    A suggestion re your blog post - this one appears to be a very small font size and is a little hard to read - perhaps you can play with the text options?
    Best wishes, Vicki Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki Lee,
      I think I have changed the font size. Thank you for your suggestion!
      Best,
      Karen

      Delete