Wednesday, February 26, 2014


      When I was illustrating and had to paint the same element in repetition I would sometimes see it in my sleep. This hasn't happened yet with this grape series but it could by the time it is finished. I had been counting how many hours I had worked but lost track.  
     The leaf was particularly difficult since it is February and I don't have a grape leaf in front of me. I do have my color notes and photo reference from previous grape leaves but I would much rather have the real thing. Usually I do have the real leaf  and I can tell you this makes it much more of a struggle. There is a lot of indecision. I paint it one way then second guess myself and change it, then change it again. It helps when I come back the next day and get a fresh look and notice right away what needs to be corrected. After lots of adjusting I think the first grape painting is finished!



     I want to share something here that I know many beginning students have difficulty with. I think it could be helpful if I explain it carefully in words. So I will try!  In classes I've noticed there is often the same question: how much water and paint to use in the paint mix. Oil and acrylics are thicker, more viscous. When you put your brush to the surface the paint just sits there. They do not run all over the surface like watercolor. Watercolor is a tricky thing. After all you are trying to control water! Not easy.

     First you need the appropriate mix of water and paint. The correct value. So how do you know what that should be?  It should be lighter than the value of what you ultimately want in the painting because you will be adding other layers on top that will darken it. But you don't want the solution so light that it will take too many layers, too much time and possibly break down the paper, to get to that value. Since it is difficult to remove watercolor it is better to build up the layers slowly. 

     Make a mix of paint and water and check on a scrap of paper to see if the solution is close to what you want. If you think it should be darker add a little paint, if lighter add a little water. Usually students use too much water and not enough  paint. They tend to be timid. Don't be afraid! Keep testing your mix until it is what you want. Then dip the brush in your mix of paint and swipe it against the edge of a well in your palette to remove excess. Enough water has to be in the brush so that it makes continuous contact with the surface of the paper but not so much that it leaves a big puddle at the end of your stroke. And you don't want so much pigment in the mix that your brush stroke leaves a hard edge. Remember it should not be so dark that you will have to remove paint. That can be messy. It is easier to add than take away. This is all a delicate balance and takes a lot of practice. Trial and error. 
     That said, have fun with it and remember don't be afraid! After all it is only paint, water and paper that we are manipulating on the surface and many "mistakes" can be corrected!

3 comments:

  1. Wow thank you Karen for this info it's nice to get some good tips they help a lot , I got your drawing video because as a beginner of wanting to learn how to paint and draw the botanical way I struggled with the term of measuring a subject , I watch your video but I still can't get to grips with the technique would it be possible if you could do a video on just measuring as I am really struggling with this technique and can't move on with my learning to be a botanical painter .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gill,
      Sure, that is a good idea. Until then I would suggest watching that section of the video over and over, starting and stopping it. I will do something that focuses just on measuring, taking it slower!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Karen if you do a video just on measuring I would be very happy to buy it that would help me so much It is so hard when you're not used to working in this way and to try and grasp the concept of the imagining the peace of glass in front of your subject the old brain cells are getting old LOL, So thank you Karen for this it will help me a lot if you can do a video.

      Delete